Club Permits


What is this scheme?


The Birregurra Motor Enthusiasts Club Inc is fortunate to be part of this scheme. The Club Permit Scheme is administered by Vic Roads and is a Permit that allows limited use of the vehicle. To ensure we comply with all requirements of the scheme we have centralised the process. The Secretary will manage all Club Permit applications and renewals. Your details and your car details will be recorded on the Club Permit register on the Club data-base so that we can supply the information to Vic Roads as required and ensure correct governance relating to the scheme.



What type of vehicle can be driven on a Club Permit?


Club Permits can be issued by Vic Roads for either 45 or 90 day usage of the vehicle.  The Club Permit allows members to drive a vehicle, subject to the terms and conditions of the permit.

Full details can be viewed on the Vic Roads web page by clicking the link which also contains the respective forms for Club Permit Application:

Club Permit scheme : VicRoads

Basically a Club Permit can be issued to the following vehicles in the following categories:

  • Veteran vehicles – manufactured before 1 January 1919;
  • Vintage vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931;
  • Classic and Historic vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a Club Permit;
  • These categories can also include trailers, heavy vehicles, left-hand drive vehicles and modified vehicles such as street rods. Replicas of vehicles in the categories above may also be issued with a club permit. 

A Club Permit cannot be issued to:

  • a vehicle that is recorded on the Victorian or an interstate Written-off Vehicles Register as a statutory write-off;
  • a vehicle that has a sheriff’s office or hoon sanction;
  • A vehicle that is recorded as stolen;
  • Please note a vehicle can only have a full current registration or a club permit – not both.

You will need to get a Vehicles Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) approval certificate if the vehicle:

  • is modified outside what is permitted in the Vehicle Standards or the guidelines as specified on the VicRoads website;
  • The vehicle was not originally manufactured in Australia, does not have any previous Australian registration history and was manufactured after 31 December 1968 (30 June 1975 for motorcycles);
  • NOTE:  It is optional for vehicles manufactured on or before 31 December 1948 to get a RWC.  If your vehicle is in this category you MUST seek approval from the President or Secretary not to have a RWC before presenting the vehicle for scrutinizing.


How much does a Club Permit cost?

For all fees associated with a Club Permit please click the below Vic Roads link:

Club, rally and unregistered vehicle permit fees : VicRoads   



How do I apply for a new Club Permit for an eligible vehicle?

  • Join our Club.  Only financial Full Members or Life Members of the Birregurra Motor Enthusiasts Club can apply to Vic Roads for either a 45 or 90 day Club Permit;
  • Confirm you have an eligible vehicle per above.

Please also read the Vic Roads link:

Club Permit scheme : VicRoads'

  • Once you have a Roadworthy Certificate (RWC) from a licensed vehicle tester you will need to complete the 'Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit form' and a 'Club Permit Application'.  Both forms are available from Vic Roads or can be downloaded via the above Vic Roads link;
  • The completed form must be presented to a Club Scrutineer with your vehicle and with the RWC.  Club Scrutineers will not sign uncompleted forms nor without a current RWC;  (Contact details available from Club Secretary)
  • The Club Scrutineer will inspect and photograph the vehicle. The photographs will be retained on the Club database;
  • If the vehicle meets the satisfaction of the Scrutineer the forms will be signed and returned to you for lodgement with VIc Roads;
  • You must also complete the Club Permit Application and have it signed by a Club Committee member certifying that you are a financial Club Member or Life Member before Vic Roads will accept the forms.  (Contact details available from Club Secretary)

Once completed you can attend a Vic Roads office with the forms where you will be issued with your Club Permit, Logbook, Label and number plate/s.

The vehicle does not need to be presented to Vic Roads for inspection unless requested.

A Logbook is issued to permit holders to record the use of the vehicle over the permit period. A logbook entry MUST be made each day that the vehicle is used (unless the vehicle is within 100 metres of the garaged address).  The label must be affixed to the vehicle.

The Logbook with the Club Permit affixed for the respective vehicle MUST be carried in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is in use.